Faking a sick day at work is the oldest trick in the book. We’ve all done it, whether we just need a break, or the sickness in question is a wicked hangover from some unexpected Tuesday night drinking.
Of course, just because it’s something a lot of us do, it sure doesn’t mean we’re all good at it. Here are the stories of 13 people who tried to fake a sick day and got straight-up busted.
12. Matt thought he was just a quick Google search away from being home-free.
Unfortunately, his boss had Google too. Looks like the employer dodged a bullet in this case, because anyone who fakes their daughter being in the hospital is probably not someone you want representing your company.
Maybe that’s just me though.
11. Kevin Doyle got called out by HR for his suspicious social media post.
Rookie mistake, Kevin. Stay off social media if you’re going to fake being sick. Trust me, it’s a common theme on this list.
10. This woman faked her mom’s death to go bowling… with her mom.
According to the New York Post, she also accepted a $150 gift from her coworkers after they heard the bad (and fake) news. Among the clues that led to her being caught were the fact that she misspelled “cemetery” and made up a nonexistent funeral home.
I bet the bowling was fun, though.
9. This boss has been keeping track of the not-so-clever excuses his employee has given him for missing work.
I guess the laughs at his expense are worth keeping him around?
8. This boss actually did the same thing. Albeit in a much more organized way.
Bosses love spreadsheets.