Posted on: Aug 02 2018

This Dog Accidentally Ate An Edible And Got Really, Really High

When a teen’s dog accidentally ingested an edible, things quickly went left.

In a tweet on Tuesday, Seth Mersing posted a video of his 3-year-old dog Rita after she apparently “found an edible” during a walk in the park. In the clip, Rita looks completely terrified and stiff from the effects of marijuana.

Although he originally didn’t pay much attention to what the dog had eaten on their walk, Mersing told BuzzFeed News that he and his family started to freak out when Rita slipped into unconsciousness. They immediately rushed her to the veterinarian, where she was given an IV and a detox.

A drug test at the vet yielded positive results for THC, the most potent chemical compound found in cannabis plants. Mersing, 18,  told BuzzFeed he assumes Rita found a “wrapper with THC wax or an actual edible.”

After spending a night at the vet, Rita returned home where she was “resting it up,” on her way to full recovery from her mishap. Mersing says he paid $1,000 for Rita’s hospital visit.

“There goes my next five Christmas and birthdays,” he wrote on Twitter.

Mersing faced another side effect from the incident: He had to defend himself against people who accused him of giving Rita the THC.

“In reality, a dog is a child to me and I will spend however much money to get her the help I would an actual baby,” he told BuzzFeed News.

According to NPR, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals handled about 539 cases of pets consuming cannabis by mistake in 2014. The Pet Poison Hotline also reports that there has been a 448 percent (yes, you read that right) increase in pet-involved marijuana cases over the last six years.

While it may seem funny to some, the effects of cannabis can cause major discomfort for pets. Even worse, the drug can trigger deadly conditions like seizures or comas in your pets. It’s safest to keep pets away from smoke or edible marijuana products.

H/T BuzzFeed News

This post originally appeared on The Daily Dot

VIEW COMMENTS

ADVERTISEMENT