Newton NH Fire Department
in

Fire Department Warns About the Danger Of Sleeping Next To A Charging Phone

In a Facebook post from 2017 that has resurfaced and gone viral again, the Newton NH Fire Department warned about the potential deadly consequences of charging your phone by your bed. Yes, that exact thing we literally all do constantly. Needless to say, it’s a scary warning everybody should take seriously.

The department shared photos of bedsheets singed by a phone charger. You can almost see the shape of the cord imprinted on the fabric. The warning was primarily directed at parents, who probably let their kids fall asleep with their phones on the regular. According to Pop Sugar, 72% of kids and 89% of teens make phones a part of their “sleep environment,” meaning it’s sitting next to them as they slumber, getting hotter and hotter against the covers:

They captioned it:

Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.

It’s especially dangerous if you used a knock-off or cheap charger not made by your phone’s manufacturer, according to The Good Housekeeping Institute. Let’s admit that’s the kind of charger most of us have! I haven’t bought an iPhone charger from Apple maybe…ever?! They say it’s also better to charge your phone outside of the case, because it lets the heat escape. Unlike tucking it into bed with you for a quick nap.

To think, it used to be dangerous to have a candle by the bed. Now, even with all our technology, we can’t resist the allure of a shiny light that might set us on fire. Be safe out there, peeps. You can always check Instagram in the morning when you’re wide away.